National Review: Newtown could have been avoided if a man was around
There was not a single adult male on the school premises when the shooting occurred. In this school of 450 students, a sizeable number of whom were undoubtedly 11- and 12-year-old boys (it was a K–6 school), all the personnel — the teachers, the principal, the assistant principal, the school psychologist, the “reading specialist” — were female. There didn’t even seem to be a male janitor to heave his bucket at Adam Lanza’s knees. Women and small children are sitting ducks for mass-murderers. The principal, Dawn Hochsprung, seemed to have performed bravely. According to reports, she activated the school’s public-address system and also lunged at Lanza, before he shot her to death. Some of the teachers managed to save all or some of their charges by rushing them into closets or bathrooms. But in general, a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm. Male aggression can be a good thing, as in protecting the weak — but it has been forced out of the culture of elementary schools and the education schools that train their personnel. Think of what Sandy Hook might have been like if a couple of male teachers who had played high-school football, or even some of the huskier 12-year-old boys, had converged on Lanza.
In addition to how forehead-smackingly stupid it is to suggest that 12 year old boys rush a grown man armed with an assault rifle - WOW is this disrespectful to the female teachers and staff at Sandy Hook. Allen mentions their heroism as an anomalous aside rather than exceptional bravery that saved lives.
The bravery of the women in Newtown - principal Dawn Hochsprung and psychologist Mary Sherlach who rushed the shooter before being killed, teacher Victoria Soto who died protecting her students, Kaitlin Roig and Abbey Clements who hid their students and calmed them - is remarkable. Not just because they demonstrated incredible calm and sacrifice in the face of terror, but also because of their gender - our picture of heroism in national tragedies like this is most often male. Not this time.
You would think that these incredible women would give Allen pause before driveling about how the real problem is the lack of a good man. It seems not.
If only the husky 12-year-old boys had manned up, unlike those lady teachers! That Adam Lanza would have never been able to match them! Or if a male janitor had thrown a bucket at him! RAMPAGE OVER. BUCKET WINS!
Fuck. This. Woman.
(There weren’t even any “husky 12-year-old boys” there. The school only went up to 4th grade. Good fact checking.)
Fuck her. My students are 12, and even the “husky” boys aren’t that much larger than I am (and I’m small at only 5’3”). We’re there to educate these kids in a safe environment, and part of that means protecting them. It isn’t their responsibility to protect us. And implying that the older students should have attempted to stop the gunman is all kinds of awful.
- astridlillith likes this
- littlemisszeph reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- wondering95 reblogged this from the-librarians-assistant
- the-librarians-assistant reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- the-librarians-assistant likes this
- gothpunkgeek likes this
- always-robin reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- always-robin likes this
- yurismajuice likes this
- hirohashi likes this
- markholyoake-photography likes this
- taichi-motion likes this
- villa-luxe-marrakech reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- shewhodancesunderthemoon reblogged this from jessicavalenti and added:
- cartierdiamonds reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- celiawithkent reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- lohikaarmo reblogged this from threecheersforqueers
- lennybruce reblogged this from jessicavalenti and added:
- arianemoon reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- spookybrat reblogged this from slutwalkseattle
- rattyrattyjo reblogged this from slutwalkseattle
- blackwolffromasgard reblogged this from bluebackstabber
- zakreblogsstuff reblogged this from think-progress
- onedumbjoke likes this
- fragvag likes this
- sonicscrewdrivers reblogged this from princelawliet
- princelawliet reblogged this from brujitaxicanita
- feminolan likes this
- awalt2069 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president and added:
- jealousbeauty reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from nerdymouse
- 135roses reblogged this from slutwalkseattle
- lady-bodhisattva reblogged this from slutwalkseattle
- hapticmelody likes this
- raedusoleil likes this
- zanthehairman reblogged this from slutwalkseattle
- slutwalkseattle reblogged this from spiralofbees
- samsonite69 reblogged this from jessicavalenti and added:
- starsallhavenames reblogged this from think-progress and added:
- theartofslack reblogged this from think-progress
- emciel reblogged this from think-progress
- notevenwrong reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- germanakice reblogged this from freeoftime
- ontopofyou reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- kdkorz10211 reblogged this from benjamincyril and added:
- thedarknessofmidnight reblogged this from bemusedlybespectacled
- bankston reblogged this from silas216
- dendroica likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from think-progress